Saturday, April 28, 2007

legacy quilt

I think this is when I fell in love with quilts, I used to visit my grandparents for a whole weekend, just me!! this was such a treat, I am a middle child , I got to be an only child at Mimi's! She had this wonderful set of 60 butterfly blocks that were made by her mother in the late 30's, the blocks/quilt were never completed, but she would work on the buttonhole stitch and I would line them up on her bed, early learning block placement, this was always the first thing I wanted to do, and then we'd take a walk down the street stop and feed the ducks at the pond, and have an ice cream cone and a bag of penny candy on the way home. After Mimi passed away and I found the blocks, all the buttonhole stitching complete, but not put together, my mother was not a quilter but a wonderful seamstress, so she decided to put the top together, she used weavers cloth and ticking!! OH MY I can't imagine what it must have been like to hand quilt that ticking!! well she sent it to my dad's cousin, I heard she broke 50 needles. I now have this wonderful quilt, and love it dearly, I made the label to document the history and added photo transfers of all the women who are bound together with this quilt. Butterfly signify rebirth and this quilt helped these women work thru the passing of their mothers.


sew till later keep stitching


7 comments:

Libby said...

Oh such a dear, dear treasure. I bet if you sit real still it even still smells likes Mimi *s*

May Britt said...

A wonderful quilt and wonderful memories. This is a treasure.

Nancy in MT said...

What a great story Betty, and what a wonderful way to document the quilt with the labels and photo transfers.

Unknown said...

Great story and love the quilt. I know you treasure it! Welcome to blogland.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I'm the middle child also, and I can relate going to grandma's house to be an only child is blissful.

Thanks for sharing!

Juanita said...

Hi Betty! The world sure is getting smaller. I've recently discovered quilter's blogs and am enjoying reading them. I usually go from one to another through the links and today I came upon a link to yours. What a nice surprise that was.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Man I have missed a lot in your posts this week! What a wonderful quilt to have and such sweet memeories

Little Brown Bird

Little Brown Bird